Contemporary food trucks first appeared in Los Angeles around 2008, giving creative young chefs with limited funds a way to showcase their creativity and individuality. They immediately drew a huge fan base that loved the transformation of the roach coach into a quality restaurant on wheels.
Although many metropolitan areas have acquired hundreds of roaming bistros, LA remains the top U.S. city for quality food-truck cuisine. Here are a few reasons why:
The first-ever celebrity food truck chef was LA’s Roy Choi, who made headlines and history with the Kogi truck.
- When The Daily Meal, a popular website on food and dining, named the 101 top food trucks in the country, 16 of them were in Los Angeles. The website reviewed food trucks in 33 U.S. cities before naming winners.
- LA food truck operators are hard-working, creative and competitive. On the first season of the Food Network’s “Great American Food Truck Race,” the final two contestants were both from Los Angeles: Grill ‘Em All was the winner over Nom Nom with a popular burger and fries menu.
- On season four of the “Great American Food Truck Race,” two competitors were chosen from the LA-area — Aloha Plate, which also operates in Hawaii, and Bowled and Beautiful. Both are competing for the grand prize of a new food truck.
- There are many business opportunities for LA’s food truck operators, including catered parties, movie productions, charity events and weddings.
- In a large, spread-out city like LA, food trucks are a blessing in high-density areas crammed with apartments and office buildings.
- The LA Health Department takes food trucks seriously and has established rigorous standards for cleanliness and health that are similar to those required of bricks-and-mortar restaurants.
Want to cater a party, feed everyone on a movie set, host a bachelor or bachelorette party or celebrate a birthday? Here are three Los Angeles food trucks that have helped build the city’s reputation as a food truck mecca:
- Greenz on Wheelz is a jumbo green truck specializing in fresh, healthy sandwiches and salads. Phone Greenz on Wheelz at855-6Greenz.
- The Hungry Nomad offers a generous selection of California favorites with a hint of American, Mediterranean and European cuisine. Call The Hungry Nomad at877-NOMAD-10.
- Hang 10 Tacos creates tasty tacos made from delicious ingredients, such as fish, steak, shrimp, BBQ and pork. The big blue Hang 10 Tacos truck serves foodies on the street and can cater for your special event. Call Hang 10 Tacos at 855-5-Hang-10.
In addition, each food truck can customize a menu to your preferences and delight your guests.